[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Feb 25 17:27:34 CET 2001

On Sun 25 Feb, msew wrote:

> Even hardcore RPers and people that "really want to get into the
> game story" are, in time just, going to say: "this is the thousandth
> quest I have gone on and I have never ever ever used any of the
> story behind the quest for anything else in the game."  Quests ==
> reward and that is it.

You are still thinking like a game oriented player here.  There are
more reasons for doing a quest than to collect a reward. You can do it
because your online friends want to, or because you want to know if
you can, or because you want to know the story.  You can set up a
quest where the reward is that the character com- pleting it dies
permanently as she saves the world.  You will never find a game player
for such a quest, but you might find a roleplay- er interested.

> The issue is: should the story line for each quest have an _unique
> impact_ on that _specific_ character's life as time progresses.

That is clearly impossible, but ideally, yes.  If the quest has to
have true meaning it must impact on the character. Of course such a
quest should have more depth to it than a simple postal service. As it
is quests are just tiny precanned adventures (if it deserves a grand
name like that).

> Another thing of importance, is that all of the achiever archetypes
> will turn quest accomplishment, quest info, item info into a sub
> game for them to compete in.  You get reknown (or your guild does)
> for being the first to find an item, or find a quest and post it.

There is nothing really wrong with that I think.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey