[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Sun Feb 25 23:34:33 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> I am not trying to design a system of presentation.  Rather the
> methods to describe the layout of the presentation.  The
> presentation depends upon the MUD and the Client.  It will continue
> being textbased, it will just be divisible into windows.

I used to use the highlight ability from wintintin to separate text to
multiple windows, but it seems to me like a small gain to write a
whole new protocol with.  Although quite a bit easier than to write a
complete presentation layer, which I think is necessary for the
evolution of the text-based mu*

>>   3) Doing anything critical on the client-side is, of course,
>>   verboten.

> Can you explain that in more depth?

What I think this means is that it's discouraged to have the client
side do any calculations, it should only take data and present it to
the user.  This being only logical since any client-side handling
would limit advancement, and it'd be easy for someone with a packet
sniffer to weed out your protocol and return data to the server that
would work out in their favor.

-- Kwon Ekstrom