[MUD-Dev] Fallen Age (was Shameless Plug)

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Mon Feb 26 01:13:31 CET 2001

In a message dated 2/25/01 9:44:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
the_logos at www.achaea.com writes:

> > Plus, you need to watch out for loops in your system.  If A is
>  > conquered by B, B can get up to 30% of A's production.  What if C
>  > conquers B? Does C get 30% of B's resources, including 30% of the
>  > 30% B got from A? If so, what's to stop me from making a bunch of
>  > characters and having them conquer each other in order, thus having
>  > a guy at the end of the line that takes a bit of all my other mules'
>  > pies.  Also, what if A conquers C above?  Does A's new 30% from C
>  > add to his production, altering what B gets from A, etc, etc, etc?
>
>  This can be stopped simply by not giving anything to a player that he
>  doesn't work for. If I want to boost C's resources and can put effort
>  into C or mule characters A and B, then the only way I'm going to
>  choose A and B (if my goal is to boost C's resources) is if putting
>  effort into C is less effective. I COULD put effort into A and B but
>  only 30% of that effort will be rewarded. Why not just put it all into
>  C where 100% of my effort will be rewarded?

Bingo.  Colonization is Turn Based (combat/conquering is real time) so you
only get out of the system how much you put in.  And turns are based on how
much you put into the RPG (not just levels, but a combination of your level,
time spent, running, shopping, being in town, etc).  No system is perfect,
and I'm not claiming ours is.  But I do think we're trying to at least be a
bit innovative in the genre when everyone else seems to be going with what
works.

Daniel