[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Feb 26 12:36:11 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>
To: "MUD-DEV (E-mail)" <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 3:58 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

> To make it worthwhile to enter the badlands, it has to be the case
> that you can gain tangible gameplay rewards that simply cannot be
> obtained elsewhere.  If you could reach higher levels in the
> badlands than out of them, for example, then that would do it; if
> you could increase your character's stats beyond those of
> stay-at-homes; if you could buy bigger houses, or get higher skills,
> or bake tastier pizzas - whatever. Putting your character at risk to
> gain meaningful rewards that you can't get anywhere else adds the
> necessary sense of achievement to keep players playing.

Surely then you need to completely re-evaluate the risk of a given
encounter. I play EQ and I know that if I go on a raid there is a
fairly high chance of dying (I play a wizard, one of the more broken
classes imno).  In fact, if we are raiding a new boss mob, the chances
are everyone will die a few times working out a tactic.

This inevitable death doesn't sit well with PD unless you allow people
to level a lot faster.

The alternative is to make death a whole lot less inevitable, but then
have you not lost some of the challenge. You've made the penalty for
screwing up so great you can't really use it. Its like having no jail
in the real world, just the death sentence.

Cass