[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Mon Feb 26 12:57:31 CET 2001

On 25th February, 2001, Matt wrote:

> I've noticed almost no cross-pollination between the great PKers
> and the great politicians in Achaea.

If you have PKing as an activity in which they can indulge, yes, I'd
expect most PK types to gravitate towards that. However, people can
have a PK type of attitude to the game (wishing to impose themselves
on others, whether positively or negatively) without being traditional
hack-and-slay types of PKing. I'd put strongly political players (who
weren't just doing it to be social or successful or out of curiosity)
into the PK quadrant of my player types graph. What they want is the
same as traditional PKs, although why they want it and the means by
which they go about it don't necessarily match.

War by other means...

> Likewise, the combatants do not generally have the patience to be
> politicians. It involves too much helping other people for their
> tastes I've found.

PKing is generally more suited to loners desperate to prove their
worth to themselves. Politics is for people who want to prove their
worth to others.

		Richard