[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Feb 26 14:28:23 CET 2001

Matt Mihaly writes:

> I've never seen much evidence that grief playing is caused by
> anything but a combination of innate human nature combined with the
> unique features (anonymity particularly) of the internet.

I certainly wouldn't argue that there are innate tendencies (aka
needs) that folks tend to carry with them that result in grief
actions.  But I wonder about the role of the society in helping people
to manage them effectively.  I believe the Korean market is marked by
a ready willingness to get into PvP, but the players tend to be very
polite when out of bounds behavior is explained to them.  Or was that
the Japanese market.  Regardless, there is a difference in cultures,
and given that player interactions are really the source of community,
and grief actions are directed against community, those cultural
differences will have a role in how grief actions emerge.

I certainly agree also that the internet affords players greater
perceived opportunities for grief actions.

By the way, the Cyperspace Psychology article that you pointed me to
was an interesting read.  Thanks for the pointer.

JB