[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Tue Feb 27 15:47:16 CET 2001

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 07:00:26AM -0800, Ryan Rhodes wrote:

> If you really are making the normal game persistent though, do you
> make a distinction between the creatures that are saved with a room
> who repop there and the rooms current contents?  Maybe I don't
> understant persistent muds correctly, but if what you want to save
> about a room is that an elf should start up there, then you don't
> want that room to save with its contents empty after someone kills
> the elf.

With full persistance, you would be saving the total state of the
room. If there's an elf in it, save the elf; if there's a rule that
determines when/if you need to pop an elf, save that too. The result
of full persistance is that from the game's perspective there's no
such thing as downtime or restarting. Of course, there are some things
that aren't quite persistant (ie socket connections, system time,
etc).