[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 27 21:16:24 CET 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> On 25th February, 2001, John Buehler wrote:

>> Temporary permadeath.

> That would be tempdeath, then <grin>.

>> I am only suspending entertainment through that one character, but
>> I am doing it for some number of days in order to serve as a
>> reminder that the player is doing something that is particularly
>> hazardous.

> What's hazardous about it? The worst that can happen is you can't
> play for a few days. Big deal.

I must agree with you here, Richard. Considering that John is very
intent on not encouraging addictive gaming, what's the big deal if you
can't play for a few days? Given his goals, I'd expect that most
players probably wouldn't be addicted enough to even log in every
day. Missing a few days isn't going to kill them.

Time-outs only matter if the person _really_ cares about missing what
he's missing (ie he's addicted) and you seem to want to avoid having
players care too much about your product, John.

--matt