[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Feb 28 09:57:17 CET 2001

on 27 February 2001 11:56, the_logos at www.achaea.com

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Chris Lloyd wrote:

>> So what if one person blabs? Its their own loss. I would expect
>> people to give away the solutions to the lower-xp quests to the
>> newbies, and to keep the higher-level, more xp ones to themselves
>> and only share them with their close allies. From an admin point of
>> view, do you really care how many people do those big quests? As
>> long as they don't give out any world-changing items, its up to the
>> mortals to decide if they want 1000xp for the quest or 10xp for the
>> same quest after they tell a few people. I would hope that this
>> might mean that players would actually have to trust each other
>> occasionally!

> The thing with the net is that if one person blabs, everyone
> knows. One person makes a website and it does not take long, if it's
> got useful information, for that information to disseminate. You say
> it's up to the mortals to decide if they want 1000xp for the quest
> or 10xp for the quest, but that's not how the mortals look at
> things.

I have to back you up on this. Asheron's Call has a magic system based
upon research where the more commonly used a spell in the world, the
less effective it is. This was intended to foster some secrecy over
the magic and to make spell reagent knowledge a valued commodity. It
didn't take more than 2 month for it all to appear on the web.

Dan