[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 13:51:20 CET 2001

Tuesday, February 27, 2001, 2:46:06 PM, John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:
> msew writes:

>> I don't want to belittle the quest creators (it is a hard hard job)
>> but I can either spend time debating/discussing that quest which
>> consist of maybe 500 words or dialogue, or I could tell everyone to
>> go read George R. R. Martin's latest series and we can discuss
>> that.  (ie why on earth do you want to read a 100 x 500 word quests
>> of little timmy lost his sword vs reading a book)

> You mean why would someone want to watch a serial show instead of
> reading a book?  Lots of people watched Buck Rogers for a long time.
> A series of text snippets would work similarly for some number of
> players.  I dunno how large that segment is, but I'm sure it would
> be enlarged if the story telling abilities of NPCs were enhanced -
> to the point of 3D animations in order to tell their stories.  The
> NPC's voice would serve as narration.

Also, there's a subgenre of novels which are essentially a series of
short stories telling the same event, just from several different
points of view.  There are enough people who find those entertaining
that they continue to get written.  I see a set of run-throughs of a
quest as having much the same possible appeal -- seeing how many
different ways there are to do the quest, what happens if you do X
instead of Y, etc.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>