Damaging items was RE: [MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Feb 28 21:10:43 CET 2001

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 26 Feb, msew wrote:
> At 22:02 02/25/2001 -0800, Brian Hook wrote:
>>At 04:20 PM 2/25/01 -0800, msew wrote:

>> This is simply a balancing issue.  Just because the obvious items
>> will be damaged/need repair doesn't mean that casters can't have a
>> similar drain placed upon them.  Just as melee classes have a
>> constant money drain (repair), casters could have something similar
>> (magic enhancing items wear out and need to be recharged, etc.).
>> The item dependency issue of casters vs. non-casters is exaggerated
>> quite a bit in Everquest.  This can be solved reasonably trivially
>> without too much hassle if it's made a goal early on by the
>> designers.

> I agree in theory with that :-) but from the muds I have played on
> they tried and tried to get it "balanced", with either holy symbols
> that cost $$ and had structure and components for the magic using
> classes.  Even with those drains in, the tanks would also have more
> of a burden on them.

The idea is that mages (and thiefs) are "crash and burn" types. Their
fights would be short and spectacular, and would frequently leave the
mage dead.  Warriors and clerics on the other hand have a lot greater
staying power, but suffer greater equipment damage as a result.  That
was the idea anyway of the original 4 classes in merc.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey