[MUD-Dev] Curing skill spam (was: Moving away from the level base system)

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Sun Jan 7 16:16:25 CET 2001

<EdNote: Quote trimmed>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Batir" <batir at frontiernet.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Curing skill spam (was: Moving away from the level
base system)

> In real life, practicing one song gives you greater ability to play
> that one song, and some marginal improvement in playing any song.
> Unfortunately every usage based system I've seen does not follow
> this.  Instead of being able to play one song much better, and all
> slightly better, by spamming, or macroing, I can now play all songs
> much better.
>
> If you want to curb skill spamming, make it meaningless.  In most
> usage based games, I practice my teleportation spell, not so I can
> teleport without fail, but so that my fireball spell does more
> damage, or casts without fail, or my shield spell, or any other
> spell that I need more, but can't practice in a meaningful way by
> macroing.
>
> Seems to me that if you really want to have usage based (which I for
> one particularly like, despite the current downfalls), you need to
> have a tree based skill system (not necessarily with prerequisites
> and all the other bruh-ha, though those can be included as well) so
> that macroing one sub skill has little to no effect on the parent
> skill.  At the very least it would even the field, so that a mage
> could not macro one spell to become master of all, and would require
> combat spells to be practiced in - imagine this - combat situations.

What about a skill web, where the each interconnected skill has flow
direction and percentage.  When you practice a skill, it goes up say 1
point, and if there are any flows off of it, each of those goes up by
that percent of 1 point.  The obvious disadvantage would be you would
need to store numbers in double but this could be worked around by
simply storing proficiency on 10000 instead of 100 scale, the first 3
digits are used in skills, the last 2 are used for skill increase,
they would be the decimal equivalent.  This also has the added ability
of allowing each skill to possibly teach you another skill, again this
would be set up by the links between skills.