[MUD-Dev] About.com article on Skotos

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jan 10 08:55:20 CET 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 SavantKnowsAll at cs.com wrote:

> Pay-to-play MUDs have been tried: Achaea, Inferno, Legends,
> Avelon... and while they may be profitable to pay a single salary or
> so, they aren't exactly the basket to put all your eggs in.  Also,
> there are /still/ games trying to break into the mainstream
> pay-to-play MUD market Aeternity (www.aeternity.com - former
> Simutronics employee) and Unwritten Legends (www.unwritten.net) to
> name a couple.  Apparently people still think there's money to be
> made in it - I'm just of a different opinion.  To each his own.

I don't understand though. There's no opinions about it. There is
money to be made. It's just a question of how much and what your costs
are. I think you'd probably be surprised at what Achaea brings in.

 > I'll stand by what I said - I've matured to where I expect quality
 > game play > /as well as/ quality graphics.

Isn't that a bit like talking about movies and saying, "I've matured
to where I expect top-quality special effects as well as great
directing, a great script, and great actors?" I don't really see that
graphics are better. Some people like them better than text. Some of
us don't. Some people like tv better than books. Some of us don't. I
just find graphics in a MUD distracting and inane compared to my
imagination.

<EdNote: The vaunted intellectual superiority of text vs graphics (or
books vs films or... ) is explicitly declared off-topic for this
list.>

--matt