[MUD-Dev] Skill-Trees & Skill-Webs (was: Curing skill spam (was: Moving away from the level base system))

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 16:33:44 CET 2001

Tuesday, January 09, 2001, 2:46:56 PM, Christopher Allen
<ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> I have yet to see a really good skill-tree or skill-web -- most of
> the ones that I've seen only work well or seem complete are for
> different colleges of magic spells.

> We running into a need to have a skill-tree or skill-web in our 3rd
> game. I have a hypothetical start for how one might be written up in
> our internal XML syntax:

[snip the skill tree to save bandwidth]

> Any comments on other attributes I should add to the structure?

Just for thieving, or in general?  The old Thieves' Guild paper RPG
has a fairly fine breakdown of attributes... if you'd like, I can post
their list for you to mine for ideas.

One thing they did that I thought was very interesting was the way
they handled disguises -- based on race and social class.  For
example, a half-orc trying to disguise himself/herself as nobility in
a human town would have a very low base chance of success, but one
trying to disguise himself/herself as a laborer or slave would have a
much higher chance of success.

> Does anyone have a complete skill-tree or skill-web that they could share?

TG didn't have a real skill tree or web (it's from 1981, so what can
you expect?), but it did have a good number of special-case rules for
other skills affecting thief skills.

CORPS has multiple skill trees... if you like, I can post them.  I
also have a skill tree I started on for a medieval RPG that I never
finished at home... it's already in a text file, so posting it would
be easy.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>