[MUD-Dev] Player statistics

Klara clone at multiweb.nl
Thu Jan 11 02:45:43 CET 2001

At 13:34 1/10/2001 -0800, Wes Connell wrote:

> All this discussion from the About.com and Lum articles made me
> wonder (granted I work at Skotos) if there have been any good
> studies on detailed number that the online games in question
> receive.

> Personally, I've always thought the size of the free MUD community
> has actually grown steadily since the beginning.

When I started playing Muds, 1990, there were about 300,000 Internet
users I think, correct me if I'm wrong.  Today, of course the relative
percentage of Mud-players has dropped, but I also feel that given the
enormous current potential base, it would be hard to have a drop in
actual player numbers.  But maybe I'm just in denial of competition
of/new generations playing 3d games only. Also, many of the 'old'
players now have a real life and spend much less time on muds. On the
other hand, it's still as if not more (stuff gets more developed)
addictive. I.e. mixed feelings here.  Maybe someone has some real
numbers.