[MUD-Dev] Server stability (was: Player statistics)

Tess Snider malkin at Radix.Net
Tue Jan 16 14:58:14 CET 2001

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Bruce wrote:

> Having to restart a server just to add new content or install
> bugfixes seems to a movement in opposition to the text-based MUD
> community.  From my perspective, the move within the text-based
> community has been towards less downtime and systems that can be
> modified or have content changes done at runtime.

> Am I leading -that- sheltered an existence by being used to make
> almost any sort of change without needing to restart my server?

Well, keep in mind that most text-based MUDs do all of their testing
on the live server.  That means, you can put in changes, piecemeal,
and don't need to track much.  It provides a great deal of
flexibility, but you just don't have that luxury on a large, complex,
pay-for-play system.  Most MMORPGs (and I'm talking out my arse here,
so feel free to correct me) go through one or more rounds of in-house
testing, and then a round of testing on a public test server, before
putting anything into production on a live server.  Thus, it makes
sense to do the changes in large chunks (patches), and even if your
system allows hot-patching, you certainly don't want people playing in
the middle of your patch.

Tess