[MUD-Dev] ANNC: .NET Frameworks based Mud Codebase

szii at sziisoft.com szii at sziisoft.com
Tue Jan 16 15:39:52 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Justin Rogers <justin at mlstoday.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 10:10 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] ANNC: .NET Frameworks based Mud Codebase

> Since this is the biggest hoard of developers that I know of for
> MUDs, I am writing to you in hopes of gaining either some support or
> at least some suggestions on the project of creating a MUD codebased
> based on .NET technologies.  Following are my plans and a some of
> the benefits of programming with .NET.

> Phase 1 design (Alpha):

> Currently there is a Java codebase called WolfMUD, I thought that
> I'd start by porting this codebase to JScript.NET.  This would mean
> extremely quick turnaround and an immediate .NET codebase in under a
> month.

Assuming .NET is stable and they hammer the last of the kinks out of
it.

> Phase 2 design (Beta):

> Speed optimizations and addition of most of the Release 1 features.
> These would include a modular approach for plugins, the addition of
> in-game compilation of code into callable modules, the use of any
> .NET based language as an internal scripting language, and the use
> of complex objects to exhibit mobs, objects, etc...

After seeing the internals of ATL/COM, and the underpinings of the
.NET architecture (not to mentions what MS did/didn't do with STL),
you're going to take a huge hit and a huge risk running that
direction....

> Phase 3 design (Release 1):

> This will be the release with world building tools, several example
> mobs, and code that works on the .NET RTM.  Of course this could be
> six months or 2 years before this is available and Release will
> hover solely on Microsoft's Marketing decision for .NET.  This will
> also be the release with code that will be known to work on other
> OS's and Platforms so that cross-platform support with be OOB (Out
> Of the Box) if and when .NET is produced for OS's.

.NET is just a framework - a "way of doing things" that's more
abstract that it is concrete.  Things like VB, JScript, etc just
aren't high-performance creatures.  Even the new C# (does anyone else
see a huge resemblance to Java here?) will probably be better than
Java, but won't reach pure-compiled code speed.  Not everyone's a
coder - some are game designers and this point won't matter to them as
much as a quick and stable platform for some world-building.  =)

IMHO, .NET is just a way for MS to tie together all of the bastardized
technologies that they've come up with over the years.  And you said
yourself that "it could be size months or 2 years before this is
available."  MS is not really well known for keeping schedules, or
having "super-robust technologies."

Sorry for the negativity - I've wasted thousands of hours tracing
through MS crap and dealing with their system code.  They may surprise
me, but I just wanted to throw out a heads-up warning to keep your
eyes open if you go this route.

Pease, love, code.

-Szii