[MUD-Dev] Experience System Differences

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Jan 16 16:11:01 CET 2001

From: "Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt" <hhs at cbs.dtu.dk>

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Alornen wrote:
> >
> > Are there any complications that would arise from using either of
> > the systems?
> >
> > What are the benefits of each system?
> >

> I'm assuming youre talking about a level-based/combat-based system.
> There are many alternatives, which can be found in the archives :-)
>
> Game-balance-wise, the two systems may be exactly the same
> (if you adjust the exp-gain/exp-requirement correctly), meaning
> that a player will have to accomplish exactly the same to gain a
> level.
>
> However, if you want your users to be able to quickly assert their
> situation, and be able to communicate information about NPC's, the
> system, where NPC's give a static amount of exp will make things
> much easier. Otherwise the players are not able to communicate how
> many exp an NPC will give you. Rather than keeping track on exp-gain
> tables for a multitude of monsters, they only have to know how
> many exp they need for the next level, and know how much exp each
> monster give them.

Yes, it is easier to communicate, but what about this.  If a level ten
characther, who has never swung a sword before tries to chop a rabbit
in half, it shouldn't be easy, and besides that he should still gain
at the rate at which a level 1 charachter would, it is after all his
first time.  Why not try a skill based system?