[MUD-Dev] Distributed PSW design

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Fri Jan 19 17:30:12 CET 2001

[JC Lawrence]

> Yup, there'e been quite a bit of discussion of such approaches here
> on the list.  In my limited play time my approach has been:
>
>   Set system to gen world data sets while I'm at work^H^H^H^Hwishing
>   I was asleep.
>
>   Review the half dozen or so results for any that are interesting
>   and then record the seed values that produced that data set.
>
>   Repeat.

It seems as if a refining algorithm would better suit your needs.
Once you find a good seed, you continue to look for more of them. Why
not create the world data based on the seed and overlay some sort of
change set when trying to get a more perfect solution.

You also mentioned (though I didn't quote it), that it was difficult
to achieve things such as Caves, underpasses, etc...  Your absolutely
correct about this being difficult with a fractal, but this post
creation technique of applying weather, disasters, and people effects
can make for a great concave hull.

	Now this this in mind my steps would be:

	Set System to gen world data sets.
	Examine results
	Set System to do terraform transformation
	Examine results
	Set System to produce concave hull simulations
	Examine the results

	Repeat ;-)

Please note that I had several articles to the effect of providing a
set of world data that included plants, animals, *intelligent mobs*,
weather, and world state about a year ago now.  The result of the
project was Gaia (boy did I rip that name off), and consisted of six
months of doing nothing more than autogenerating land data, applying
natural processes, and finally populating that with a small group of
AI bots.

Justin Rogers