[MUD-Dev] No Exp? (was: Exploration Exp)

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Jan 19 20:19:59 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Crawford" <myrddin at seventh.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 1:23 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] No Exp? (was: Exploration Exp)

> How do we justify the time an adventurer spends EXPLORING the world?
> For the player himself: sure he gets the see the world, see what's
> in it, know what's where, etc.. but the character? How can we reward
> the character for exploring? John says knowledge of geography,
> wildlife, and the world itself (etc.).. but how does that
> "knowledge" reflect in the game? How does the game know how versed
> the character is in the ways of the world?

> Isn't that the same thing as having an int with the name
> 'explorer_exp' and displaying the explorers prowess either throug
> the value of 'explorer_exp' itself or some predefined string?

Well, as you point out an int system could work. It becomes a
mish-mosh of achiever/explorer though, as there can be ranking and
levels of exploration to achieve.

The other way [as I mentioned in another post] is to give bonuses or
penalties based on that explored knowledge. First time in a terrain
could have some penalties to skill use.. first time in an area could
have penalties to spell use [this is more 'realistic' if magic is
based on a ley-line system or on something that could have
higher/lower concentrations, making certain types of spells easier in
some spots and harder in others].  In these cases, the explorer can in
effect benefit from the knowledge, in that the character can perform
better in the right places, or take on opponents in places that hamper
the opponents and their abilities.

Language and dialect skills would work too, if the world[s], races,
cities, have that support.

    Rayzam
    www.retromud.org