[MUD-Dev] Exploration Exp (was: Experience System Differences)

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Jan 19 20:28:55 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Powell" <Warren.Powell at team.xtra.co.nz>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 7:06 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Exploration Exp (was: Experience System Differences)

> Hulbert Leland wrote:

>>> There is also the issue of players having multipule characters and
>>> just "reexploring" areas, but I don't think there would be a way to
>>> prevent that.

>> Or, if you want to limit rewards even more, while keeping things
>> easy to store. Just have it award the XP to the first person who
>> finds the room, flag the room as explored, and not award XP to
>> anyone else.

> How about a slight addition that would make things a little more
> interesting.

> Walking into the room does not guarantee and exporation experience
> bonus. To get the experience, the player must report the room to a
> cartographer or similar. Seed a cartograhper or two in each area,
> and then the first player to report that room to the cartographer
> gets the experience. Experience could also be a certain amount
> divided by the number of cartographers in the mud world, and then
> have further mods for more than one explorer. This lends itself to
> the situation where two players find the room, one shoots off to
> Midgaard and the other to Rome to report the area. They both get
> experience, but if they then go to the others destination city and
> report it, the experience they get it lessened for each report.

The problem with the idea that the first person gets teh exploration
experience, is that it is so limiting. It would be the same as
suggesting that the first person [group] to kill a monster gets the
experience for it.  Then after that, people know how to kill it, so
they get less and less, until it's worthless. If you have a game that
lasts long enough, you'll have overturn of players. These new waves of
players, the explorers in them at least, will quickly get discouraged
if most of the world is explored and they get nothing out of it. At
least in terms of giving experience for exploring. And then when a new
area is put into the game, whoever is on at the time can do it. It
becomes a rush and a fight. This isn't an environment that beckons for
more explorers.

IMO, each character should have the same ability to explore and gain
the same benefits from it. The characters don't know the other
characters that explored the area the first time it came out 3 years
ago. Why penalize them?

    Rayzam
    www.retromud.org