[MUD-Dev] Skill System

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Fri Jan 26 04:34:15 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Chambers <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Skill System

> From: "Batir" <batir at frontiernet.net>
> > From: Ben Chambers <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

>> You've met a 600 year old elf ;-p ?

> Elves by definition live to 600, look it up in any standard fantasy
> rulebook or book

In any Tolkienized world, yes.  But, fantasy, derives much content
from myth's and myth's do not have a common agreement on what exactly
elves are.  Spirits or creatures of nature, sure, I think everyone
would agree there.  Any other details, and that's simply your version.

>> I see two problems with know it all players (err, charactors,
>> actually).  First is the disparity between new chars and old ones.
>> But this could be said of any skill system that I've seen, limnited
>> as my experience is.

> So what, there shouldn't be ANY reason to play?  People play to
> obtain items and to obtain levels.  Most muds wipe items
> occasionally so then levels is the only thing that a really stands
> out about a character.  If i play 1000 hours, I want something to
> say for it, besides the eq that someone with 999 hours also has.

>> The second is interactivity.  I play UO, and between 2 charactors,
>> can make every craftable item (there only being a couple thousand
>> of them).  My warrior types are of the highest level as well, in
>> several differant fields.  It's not very often that I *need*
>> anyone.  I can kill most anything, and can make all my own
>> supplies.  What little interaction I do with other players, with
>> the exception of a few friends, is bussiness (selling my wares),
>> and that is only because I choose too, not because I need to.  I do
>> not think this is a good thing.

> But it is real.  The stronger and smarter people are more
> independent, and generally less likely to be social.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never give up my chars as long as I play UO.
But, if I had never had the option for 5, and was limited to 3
instead, I'd have to be a bit more reliant on other players for equip,
or money from selling my equip, and, methinks, enjoy the game more.
As it stands now, other players are more of a hinderance then anything
(stealing my kills, hunting in my area, taking my resources, blah blah
blah).

Batir