[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Jan 30 16:50:53 CET 2001

From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Ben Chambers wrote:

>> Has anyone ever played ADOM?  It is available free from
>> www.adom.de.  I think that it is the embodiment of what a graphical
>> MUD SHOULD be like.  It features basic text characters, i.e a wall
>> is a #.  etc.  It generates all messages on the fly.  It is
>> extremely in-depth with over 10 classes and 10 races.  It
>> colorcodes the map, and features an easy to read display.  I think
>> that the ideas in it are worth looking into.

> I think either I misunderstand what you're saying, or you
> misunderstand the nature of ADOM. ADOM is not a mud in any sense of
> the word. It's a rogue-like single player game.

I mean I think that it is what the RPG is supposed to be.  It is
fairly immersive if you know enough about it.

> I also have to say that ascii graphics are most certainly not what a
> graphical mud should be. I, personally, want the best graphics
> possible. To me, ascii-graphical adventures are completely dead
> (well, not just to me). There's still room for text-based muds and
> maybe even other types of text-based games, but why try to use ascii
> graphics as the core of a game when you can use 3-d or even 2-d
> graphics that will look much nicer.

Graphics take more space, and hence more bandwidth.  They are also
harder to implement, not as easy to make cross platfrom, and much more
difficult to make.  Ascii is faster and more efficient, and allows for
more of the processor and space to be devoted to game play
developments