[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jan 30 17:34:05 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Crowell" <frankc at maddog.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

> I am particular fascinated with the concept of "character
> ownership".  Think about that for a minute.  Under current copyright
> laws, everything except raw data is subject to automatic copyright
> --even this email. So if I name a character, describe the character,
> and mold the character's abilities and skill levels, then can that
> be consider property convered by copyright law.

That was going to be my next question! :) Creating a character,
succeeding in accomplishments [on any axis] with the character, seems
like it is your own work of art. Is it the case that the game is like
MS Word: It gives you the tools and abilities to create something/tell
your story. But you should be the one to own the story.

If that's the case, its more like a pay-to-use system. Which means
that the providers can deny you access as long as they don't take [or
reimburse] your money. And in my case, I'd like to deny people who do
buy/sell characters or items. In some ways, after that point, its not
the same piece of art.

    Rayzam