[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Mon Jul 2 18:40:19 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:55:05AM -0500, J Todd Coleman wrote:
> On Friday, June 29, 2001 at 2:23 AM, Valerio Santinelli wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 7:22 PM, J Todd Coleman wrote:

>>> Alternatively, I'm starting to look at the LDAP stuff to see if
>>> it's a viable alternative -- it certainly has promise, in that
>>> 1) it's fast, because the entire database is kept in memory and
>>> 2) it's specifically made for distributed server systems, so the
>>> whole "synchronization" issue (that leads to lost records,
>>> duping, and a plethora of other issues) is to a large degree
>>> resolved... theoretically.  Plus it isn't that expensive (in
>>> fact you get a 200k record version license when you buy
>>> Solaris.)  Like I said, though, I'm not as familiar with it, so
>>> it may have some huge holes I'm not aware of.

1) Nothing about ldap specifices the _directory_ (_not_ database) is
kept in memory. Ldap is an access protocol, not a storage
implementation.

2) It was not specifically made for distributed server systems, it
was designed for ease of client iplementation and simplicity of
access and searching.

Also, there is at least one free (as in beer) implementation, see

  http://www.openldap.org

>> I'm not experienced with LDAP too, so I cannot say much. This
>> issue needs to be looked into deeper, but maybe it could be a
>> good choice if it really does what it's supposed to do :)

> Well it's used by a number of really large organizations for
> things like : HR records, phone databases, account/pwd tracking,
> etc.  In theory it should be a workable solution, but I really
> haven't had time to look at it in detail.

Big ldap databases are usually an ldap adapter to an enterprise
rdbms like Oracle or Informix. Also, ldap is optimized for reads,
not writes.  There is a big difference between a directory and a
database, with some important tradeoffs. Personally, I don't see how
ldap would help a mud much.