[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

J Todd Coleman warden at wolfpackstudios.com
Tue Jul 3 10:18:19 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Lenhardt" <philen at monkey.org>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:55:05AM -0500, J Todd Coleman wrote:
>> On Friday, June 29, 2001 at 2:23 AM, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> 1) Nothing about ldap specifices the _directory_ (_not_ database)
> is kept in memory. Ldap is an access protocol, not a storage
> implementation.

Most of my information about LDAP (i.e. the fact the "in memory"
stuff, etc) came directly from the Sun reps that are trying to sell
us equipment.  I've look at it at a very high level once (connecting
to the Novell directory service) but, as I said, I'm not that
familiar with it.

>>> I'm not experienced with LDAP too, so I cannot say much. This
>>> issue needs to be looked into deeper, but maybe it could be a
>>> good choice if it really does what it's supposed to do :)

>> Well it's used by a number of really large organizations for
>> things like : HR records, phone databases, account/pwd tracking,
>> etc.  In theory it should be a workable solution, but I really
>> haven't had time to look at it in detail.

> Big ldap databases are usually an ldap adapter to an enterprise
> rdbms like Oracle or Informix. Also, ldap is optimized for reads,
> not writes.  There is a big difference between a directory and a
> database, with some important tradeoffs. Personally, I don't see
> how ldap would help a mud much.

In a large-scale MMOG you have to assume hundreds of thousands of
account records (and yes, I'm crossing my fingers on that one!  but
you still have to plan for it) each holding N character records.
And since we want to have one account able to log into multiple
different "game servers" it seemed like it might be a fast, easy and
viable alternative.

Todd/Warden
Wolfpack - Shadowbane