[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Tue Jul 3 12:33:58 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Brian Hook wrote:

> I'm curious what the list membership would think of a product that
> was basically a "graphical MUD in a box".  Something with a set of
> libs for a server, client, database, etc. and that lets MUD
> operators create and manage their own 3D graphics MUDs for smaller
> scale operations (I'm thinking along the lines of hundreds of
> simultaneous users on a server).

> I believe MonoLith has something like this in their
> LithTech/LithWorlds stuff...is this interesting to many people?

> The big problem I can think of is that, even with sufficient
> tools, there is a lot of complex art that needs to be created, so
> the step from text MUD to graphical MUD is a pretty steep one.

I've tossed the idea around a bit myself...

If you do this to release to the general public under some form of
free license, you get the same 'problem' you have with all the stock
MU* out there today.  Aside from that, putting together something
like this in your spare time to give away is a bit daunting.

On the other hand, if you do this to sell, then you run into the
problem of not very many people being interested in buying it.
Though I could be wrong.  Of course the people who DO buy it will be
far more motivated to make a good end product out of it.