[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Tue Jul 3 18:03:31 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:45:10 +0100
Alistair Milne <vw_krug at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> From: J C Lawrence

>> -- 1st person UI preferred, tiled 3rd/isometric/overhead disliked

> There are certain multiplayer role playing games out there where I
> believe if the developers had gone for a full 3D engine it would
> have spoiled the game and made it another MeToo rather than a top
> quality product.

To reiterate: The list I posted are items that would control my
level of interest.  For what I am interested in 1st person UIs are a
requirement.

I'm specifically not in a position to comment on general market
needs/interests for such graphical MUD-in-a-box products.

> Baldur's Gate and Diabolo are good examples.

Neither games I'm particularly fond of or impressed by, but that's
another matter.

> Could you imagine playing those games from a 1st-person Quake
> perspective, or an over-the shoulder Tomb Raider angle?  I shudder
> to think.

Certainly they would be significantly different games, resulting in
several basic design decisions as regards the basic game design for
both them needing to be changed.  Package deal.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows