[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Tue Jul 3 18:46:32 CEST 2001

At 06:16 PM 7/3/01 -0700, J C wrote:

> AIR a module is a bounded space with no exits except by logging
> off/out, in which case the distinction seems specious.

I'm not sure if I get your point here.  If you're saying that a
world and a module are effectively the same thing because of the "no
exits except by logging off/on" distinction, I would agree, but the
distinction still exists practically speaking because the single
largest size you can load at a time controls the feel and scale of
the game.

I have no idea what NWN's limits are, but if it's comparable to,
say, a Quake or EQ zone, then that difference IS important, because
the ability to move to a new zone without logging on/off is
important when trying to piece together a world from multiple
regions, each region presumably around the "max size of a single
zone" limit for the game.

Of course, ideally you would have unbounded regions that streamed
data in continuously, but designing and implementing this
architecture is significantly more time consuming than a pure
level/zone chunk system (in all facets, including art, technology
and tools).

Brian Hook