[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Jul 4 11:04:06 CEST 2001

According to Brian Hook:

> I have no idea what NWN's limits are, but if it's comparable to,
> say, a Quake or EQ zone, then that difference IS important,
> because the ability to move to a new zone without logging on/off
> is important when trying to piece together a world from multiple
> regions, each region presumably around the "max size of a single
> zone" limit for the game.

There might be a more precise answer (I've seen an @bioware.com
email address somewhere on the list), but here's the limits I've
seen so far on NWN server sizes.

  1: Base measure is the good old D&D 10 feet square

  2: Each game area may be up to 32x32 squares. You go from one area
  to the next by zoning (the client calculates the 3D tile
  transitions)

  3: Each game module may have an "unbounded" number of areas
  interconnected and accepts 64 players (the latter subject to
  revision). You move from one module to another by logging off/on,
  or by module transition ("portals")

  4: Your favorite Linux box may run 1 "or more" (???) modules.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)