[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 18:26:35 CEST 2001

On Wednesday July 04, 2001 13:25, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>
>> On Tuesday July 03, 2001 17:10, Dave Rickey wrote:

>>> The key point would be graphical assets, I'd suggest hard-coding
>>> that format and make it unchangeable by the users.

>> I'm not sure what you mean here -- do you mean that the format is
>> unchangeable, or that the graphics are formatted in a way to try
>> to make them unchangeable?  I doubt you can do the latter (after
>> all, the client has to be able to decode the format), and I'm not
>> really sure what the point of the former is.

> By "Hard-Coding", I mean create an engine-specific published
> format which you would support, and a converter for .3DS files.
> Use your own specs for animations (skeleton, keyframe, etc.),
> multitexturing, skinning, make it a flexible format but one that
> you cooked up yourself to be compatible with your engine.

I think we have a miscommunication here -- I wasn't asking what you
meant by hard-coding, but what you meant by "unchangeable by the
users."  Are the graphics supposed to be impossible for the users to
change?  Or is the format the game uses supposed to be unchangeable
by the users?

Neither one seems practical to me -- if the game can read and
display the format, then someone will be able to crack it, making it
impossible to make it so the graphics can't be changed by users.  On
the second part, there's nothing that can prevent users from writing
conversion programs to make the game effectively be able to use a
different file format.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>