[MUD-Dev] Chatbot

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Jul 5 19:13:39 CEST 2001

From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder at alumni.princeton.edu>

> This is exactly where I was going with the language parsing
> thread.  Step one is for the NPC to understand what you're saying
> to it.  Step to is for it to think of something coherent to say
> back.  We'll just take this one step at a time.  :)

> BTW, the parsing of sentences is coming along well.  It takes a
> surprisingly small amount of code, and then a big dictionary.
> Still have a ways to go on attaching the concepts to the words.
> I'm trying to figure out how to modularize the words and concepts
> so they don't all have to be loaded at once, and somehow find a
> good balance between all NPCs sharing the same data set (which
> performs well but doesn't distinguish them much), and NPCs all
> having a unique data set (which makes them very personalized, but
> required a ton of background for each one and isn't very
> efficient).

It seems you could flag some words as common, any NPC should be able
to understand them.  Then create "dialects" which are simply lists
of uncommon words, assign a dialect to an NPC, and bingo, you've
effectively limited it's word base.

It'd probably take a long time to build the dialects up, but it'd be
portable enough to be useful I think.

-- Kwon Ekstrom