[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Jul 9 09:59:20 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>

> I think we have a miscommunication here -- I wasn't asking what
> you meant by hard-coding, but what you meant by "unchangeable by
> the users."  Are the graphics supposed to be impossible for the
> users to change?  Or is the format the game uses supposed to be
> unchangeable by the users?

The format.  The graphics can be added to, modified, expanded,
whatever, but the format must remain the same.

> Neither one seems practical to me -- if the game can read and
> display the format, then someone will be able to crack it, making
> it impossible to make it so the graphics can't be changed by
> users.  On the second part, there's nothing that can prevent users
> from writing conversion programs to make the game effectively be
> able to use a different file format.

Sounds great.  My point is that if Joe Admin can't use Stan Artist's
fantasy dragon in an SF environment, then the graphical asset base
fractures.  The whole *point* is to ensure that if someone creates a
graphical asset for the game engine, anyone can use it *without*
having to do a lot of esoteric conversion.  The 70 foot Uber-Dragon
of one gameworld might be scaled down into the cat-sized newbie mob
of the next and the playable Draco race of yet another, but the
format has to remain the same for that to actually work out in
practice.

--Dave Rickey