[MUD-Dev] strong encryption for authentication

Fred Clift fclift at verio.net
Tue Jul 10 09:39:12 CEST 2001

I'm considering allowing ssh based connections to my mud.  I like
the idea of no plain-text going to/from the mud.  I would have to
either continue allowing 'telnet' based access, or provide some kind
of proxy (though it would have to be done right -- ban lists, seeing
where people are connected from, etc, is important).

The main problem I see is that people use mud clients that would
need to be enhanced.  I can tunnel tinyfugue (long live tinyfugue!)
through ssh just fine, which would give me personally secure access
to my mud, but most people dont have the technical knowlege to
probably set this up.  Are there clients out there that support more
secure protocols?  Perhaps I should provide ssh-ized patches for all
the free clients I can get my hands on, and sweet-talk the 'for
sale' client makers to include code....

Anyone working on something like this?

--
Fred Clift - fclift at verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.