[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 10 16:25:25 CEST 2001

Sean Kelly wrote:

> I agree.  MS' apparently intentional differences from the BSD
> definition are quite bothersome, and Unix and Windows have gone in
> completely different directions as far as efficiently handling
> high-volume socket operations.  Personally, I really like Windows
> IOCP model, and was kicking around how to implement a similar
> model in Unix.  It wouldn't be incredibly difficult, but I doubt
> you would get the same performance out of it as Windows would
> provide with the same model.

There is quite the mental block in insisting on compliance with a
posix interface to the *nix sockets stack despite it's sub optimal
design and compromises that lead to performance problems.  Both of
which have been commented on by Cox and Gooch.  Schmidt's patterns
papers and their references to the workings of BSD's stack are also
illuminating.  I've posted on the topic here but responses were much
more interested in the exploring the term "windows" and what it
meant to them than in understanding and implementing a form of
"iocp" (or the stack as a RT device) in *nix.  It's a rather
perplexing attitude for those who chest beat that they have access
to their OS's kernel source and can modify it any time they like.
Still I think it would probably be an interesting and popular
freshmeat type project.  Anyways when the topic of network "scaling"
comes up here, what that really means is "scaling up to the limits
of the posix interface" or talking about more sexy topics like
server distribution.  I'm not going to revisit the area since I've
already said much of what I was going to say anyways as a FWIW in
past posts before being sidetracked into arguing old windows myths
and legends.  Besides I really don't have any personal or practical
commercial interest in "scaling" a mud server up to thousands of
users, let alone on *nices.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--