[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Madman Across the Water burra at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Jul 10 19:23:50 CEST 2001

Lee Sheldon wrote:

> UO's chat system with the text above a player's head (or some
> variation thereof), easily associating the speech with a specific
> avatar, would seem at first glance to be the most natural way of
> handling chat in a graphical MUD.  Unfortunately I'm not a touch
> typist.  When I'm typing I look at the keyboard.  As a result I
> miss chunks of other people's speech in UO.  It's faded out by the
> time I

Well, UO had a little of both worlds- you could bring up your
journal and it was essentially a scrolling chat box. It was a bit of
a pain to scroll back on (in my experience, for instance, once you
scrolled back some and then went forward again, it would no longer
automatically scroll down to catch new stuff until you closed and
opened it again), but you could use it in a similar fashion to what
I understand EQ and AO's chat boxes to be.

Adam B
burra at alum.rpi.edu
Madman Across the Water - POL dev