[MUD-Dev] Server hosting

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Wed Jul 11 01:15:01 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>
>> From: Corey Crawford [mailto:myrddin at seventh.net]

>> Most other MUDs - a host-share, ie: www.inetsolve.com

> Thats an interesting link as I wasn't aware of such services. Is
> anyone aware of a company offering win2k based hosting?

> I really want to write a top down tile based mud and I'm concerned
> about hosting costs before I get myself too excited. I imagine the
> UO emulator servers have similar issues.

Being one of the developers behind UOX3 way back in 1998 when it was
something new, I know that this UO emulator is pretty high in
requirements.  Handling more than a hundred players means having a
PC with lots of RAM and at least a PIII-800MHz. Of course you can
run it on a lower macine, but it's going to starve as soon as you've
got some players online and a big worldfile.

Most of the big shards you see around are on dedicated machines, or
at least they're sharing their CPU power with other servers
completely different, like Rogue Spear or Quake 3.  Just my 0.02$

Valerio Santinelli
tanis at mediacom.it