[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

lhulbert at hotmail.com lhulbert at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:43:39 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q3/msg00159.php

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Tyson <ptyson at datamonitor.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> I'd have to recognize the voice, secondly, tie it to a character
> name and thirdly tie it with someone on screen. Voice over IP
> stuff I've heard so far is indistinct.. and you Americans all
> sound the same anyway ;)

> Am I the only one who finds the inability to identify speakers
> annoying? :) And how do you overcome it?!

The way nature does, of course.  Have the character's mouth move in
concert with the voice :P.

While that may sound flippant, it is the eventual result.  Any other
solution will just be a stand-in until we get the processing power
and bandwith to allow us full virtual representations.

Lee