[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 16:49:35 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Archer" <archer at frmug.org>

> If you go to the current top-of-the-line hardware, which would be
> a quadri-processor Ghz board (with oodles of the ram pouring thru
> the backpanel of the rack, too :) ), you could probably run a
> good-sized world on a single box.

...could you please quantify "a good-sized world" ? :).

<provocative comment> As I see it, obviously the most intensive
function of the server is handling all those simultaneous
connections - you have to have your protocol stack for each, and be
doing lots of context-switching from one player to the next
</provocative comment>

Hence number of simultaneous players online? I know this is all
finger-in-air stuff, but it would be helpful to be sharing the same
understanding of "good-sized".

Or, harking back to attempts to establish common vocabularies, does
anyone have better suggestions for how to quantify how much of a
game can be run on a given lump of hardware?

Adam M