[MUD-Dev] Re: strong encryption for authentication

Oliver Jowett oliver at randomly.org
Thu Jul 12 20:47:07 CEST 2001

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:39:12 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Fred Clift <fclift at verio.net>

> I'm considering allowing ssh based connections to my mud.  I like
> the idea of no plain-text going to/from the mud.  I would have to
> either continue allowing 'telnet' based access, or provide some
> kind of proxy (though it would have to be done right -- ban lists,
> seeing where people are connected from, etc, is important).

> The main problem I see is that people use mud clients that would
> need to be enhanced.  I can tunnel tinyfugue (long live
> tinyfugue!) through ssh just fine, which would give me personally
> secure access to my mud, but most people dont have the technical
> knowlege to probably set this up.  Are there clients out there
> that support more secure protocols?  Perhaps I should provide
> ssh-ized patches for all the free clients I can get my hands on,
> and sweet-talk the 'for sale' client makers to include code....

You may want to look at the telnet ENCRYPT (RFC2946) and
AUTHENTICATION (RFC2941) options. telnet-ssl and telnetd-ssl use
these to negotiate use of SSL. That'd give you one existing "client"
at least, and removes the need for a completely separate protocol.

--
Oliver Jowett - oliver at randomly.org - http://www.randomly.org/people/oliver/