[MUD-Dev] Grief players with ip/dns spoofers

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 09:08:01 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tand'a-ur" <tandaur at ix.netcom.com>

> Hi, long time lurker here, and I've just about had it with a few
> troublemakers that like to frequent my MUD.  Banning doesn't work
> because they have ip spoofers and will just come back with another
> made up ip. I was wondering if there is a way to detect a phony ip
> and just flat out deny connections to them.

> I searched the archives and found nothing on the subject. I also
> checked out J C Lawrence's page on kanga and found nothing
> directly on the subject (just found a program or two to spoof
> ip's).

If you run linux, you can turn on "source address verification",
which IIRC is either a kernel feature or part of inetd (the daemon
which (on most installations) handles all incoming connections to
the machine). It's a very easy process, as simple as changing a 0 to
a 1 in a single file - a search for "linux howto ipchains source
address verification" on google should do.

HTH.

Adam M