[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Fri Jul 13 16:51:14 CEST 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
Jeremy Noetzelman <jjn at kriln.com> wrote:

> As a V12 Beta tester, I can assure you the engine itself is quite
> nice.  Unfortunately, GarageGames isn't prepared for any sort of
> usage based commercial effort (monthly fees, ongoing
> contributions, etc) and don't have a license for that application.

Additionally as rights to all derived works are perforce granted to
them, specifically encluding all marketing and sales rights, there
no possibility for any of the following without their agreement:

  -- Produce a derived game and make it available freely, or for
  which I otherwise determine the cost structures (the license is
  actually ambiguous and minorly contradictory on the score of free
  games, but the intent seems clear from the rest of the license).

  -- Produce a derived game under a compatible and more restrictive
  license (eg may only be played by FOO)

  -- Produce a game which violates US-based IP laws but which is
  legal in the country of production (cf crypto lawrs, trademarks,
  IP, etc).

Further the definition of deliverable to GarageGames is not defined
as to object code or source.  The IP ramifications of the latter are
unpleasant at best.

> It could certainly be used for non commercial games, but it's not
> the best application for commercial MUDs.  That's even ignoring
> the fact that they retain all rights to your IP, which is not a
> good thing for a MUD.

The license seems to be variously and non-commital as to use rights
for IP owned by the developer

--