[MUD-Dev] Gearing up against GEAR

Ted Milker tmilker at radiks.net
Fri Jul 20 09:44:23 CEST 2001

Hi everyone, I've been following the problems the Asheron's Call
developers have been having with a program called "GEAR".  There are
a lot of rumors floating around about how exactly this program
works.  The one explanation that sounds the most plausible to me is
that it plays with the speed of Window's timer functions.  Does
anyone have any concrete evidence that this is the way it works?
Can someone explain exactly how Turbine allowed this to happen in
the first place?  I'm aware of the first rule of network
programming, never trust the client, and surely they must have been
aware of it too, so what went wrong?  I think it'd be very useful to
the development community at large to be aware of this issue and the
pitfalls to avoid doing when developing future games.

Ted