[MUD-Dev] DGN: Craftier dragon and players as GMs

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jul 22 18:48:33 CEST 2001

On Mon 16 Jul, Travis Nixon wrote:
> From: "Mathieu Castelli" <mcastell at noos.fr>
>> On Jul 11 Travis Nixon wrote:

>> The question here is the same: how one moves up (or down !) the
>> scale ?

>> The only answer I have so far is to have players vote. In my
>> problem, the GM first declares the player he's going to "master"
>> and at several points in the adventure those players are getting
>> a question box to quickly fill their impression on the GM.

I do not think that would work. Players are hardly objected and I
think would regard these balots as intrusive, thus resenting
them. Not hardly a positive attitude for a balanced vote I would
think.

> That's pretty much all I've come up with too.  Player vote.  The
> problem then becomes that the guy playing a goblin can take care
> to only encounter people he knows out-of-game, and tell them to
> always vote positively for him.

Right now the problem with voting is that it costs the player
nothing.  They likely are a lot more careful with their money than
they are with their votes.  Also, why would players want to advance
another player?  Especially if it is essentially their enemy in the
game. Not to mention that from the player's point of view quite
different things are important (and thus worthy of a vote) than what
the implementors of the game want to see in their dragons...

In my opinion you can best handle it in the same way as you deal
with player advancement. Players start out with a limited selection
of rela- tively low level monsters, can rise in rank and power in
that community and eventually reach the end state of being the
goblin king (or some- thing similar for other races). At that point
they can retire and chose to begin anew in a new, but more powerful
race of monsters, and only if there actually is a position open,
with the staff determining if and when positions are open.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey