[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

luke at rocketship.com luke at rocketship.com
Mon Jul 23 13:41:44 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q3/msg00303.php

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
"Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com> wrote:

> Have to throw in the compulsory "hear, hear" here.  All games
> involve real-world skills.  Period.

That is a very good point. Sort of makes me wonder though, why
aren't MUDs used more for educational purposes? Instead of requiring
the skills of patience, aliasing, and killing, why not require/teach
important things like economics, engineering, and science? Just make
some quests with the appropriate problems.  Seems like most
"educational" MUDs I've visited are MUSHes and MOOs that try to make
a virtual clone of their university or something. Has anybody made a
MUD with an actual tutorial for a real-world peacetime problem,
where the characters could get real points for solving it? Could
such a MUD even be fun?

Luke Parrish
http://topica.com/lists/ce-mud/