[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Jul 24 11:48:33 CEST 2001

According to Eli Stevens:

>> The way nature does, of course.  Have the character's mouth move
>> in concert with the voice :P.

> And add positional audio clues.  If someone says something behind
> you, you know which way to turn and all that.

> I only have 2 speakers on my box ATM, can anyone pipe up and say
> how effective EAX and other 3d sound systems are?

Bad.

Of course, I have a problem, my left speaker is relatively weak
compared to my right speaker (don't know why. Defect in the
magnet?). Which means my audio cues are out of whack anyway.

Even if your brain compensate for misalignment of speakers
relatively well, an accurate sound rendering require strict
positioning. And last time I checked, EAX and the like didn't offer
a 3D interface to show where your speakers were positioned and
oriented relative to your chair.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)