[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Jul 24 14:10:33 CEST 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:24:37 -0700, "Justin Rogers"
<justin at mlstoday.com> wrote:

> Its not that localization is a problem, its that most languages or
> frameworks don't provide an easy mechanism to use and swap out
> resources based on locale.  And I don't know of any that will
> allow you to change the resources while the program is running,
> (except for .NET of course).

Use a resource DLL. These can be attached and detached
dynamically. The Windows API supports this directly, so your
framework isn't important and your language need only support the
API -- which virtually all of them do.

This is a prime example of something so simple and so firmly
embedded in the Windows O/S that it's almost never documented,
because anyone experienced enough to be *capable* of documenting it
considers the existence of the feature "obvious". Initially, a
program didn't load DLLs automatically; you had to load them
yourself. So the ability to *create* a resource-only DLL was all
they had to document; the ability to attach and detach from it
dynamically was not a feature, it was the LAW.

Now, once you LEAVE the Windows platform to port your client to the
Mac or a UNIX box, things will get hairy. ;)