[MUD-Dev] MUD timeline

jkerr at htech.withoutthisstuff.com jkerr at htech.withoutthisstuff.com
Tue Jul 24 21:40:14 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q1/msg00574.php

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:20:15 -0800
Darrin Hyrup <shades at mythicgames.com> wrote:
> At 11:23 AM 3/8/00 -0600, Moreland, John wrote:

>> Orb Wars was a team-based competition game where differing types
>> of mages fought for control over the different orbs in an arena.
>> You could either play it using ASCII representation or very basic
>> graphic front-ends.  Oddly enough, it would feel very familiar to
>> the Shooter folks who play stuff like Tribes/Unreal Tournament
>> etc.  The game felt alot like Hack or Rogue except that you had
>> very clear victory conditions, and the games were fairly short.
>> I actually don't remember if your mage "persisted" through the
>> battles.

> The alpha/beta versions didn't offer persistance, but the later
> versions did.  Although in the sense of that game score was all
> that mattered.

I used to really enjoy Orb Wars, way back.  I wish it were alive
somewhere, I think it would still be fun to play, even with it's
archaic interface.

More to the point of the thread, Orb Wars was persistant in score
and wizard type (?), but no objects were kept between battles.  The
scores were tallied every month and a 'top 20' list was posted, then
all the wizards reset.