[MUD-Dev] Something in the water

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jul 31 07:01:11 CEST 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Hulbert, Leland wrote:
> Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>> I *do* like it. It's a neat outside the box idea. Unfortunately,
>> it predicates on the assumption that you can define RP by
>> defining what is NOT RP, which is obviously a much larger volume
>> of data. It also rewards non-RPers for RP simply because they
>> aren't social. There are a whole slew of flaws in this, I think.

> I sure there are.  I come up with these things off teh top of my
> head, and I am not a professional programmer, game developer or
> anything related.  I am a complete hobbyist.  But I think the idea
> could work.  Perhaps not as simply as it was stated, but as a way
> to curb the abuses that some other systems are prone to.  For
> example, add the ability to provide bonuses on a per-case basis
> for good RP that an admin sees, stir in the ability to flag a
> conversation so that it gets logged for the admins to look at if
> you think it was good RP, and mix well.  Still not a pure
> mechanical RP reward system, but it looks good for my tastes.

We've considered these admin-run RP rewards many times, and always
rejected them because it would, I think, lead to systems where
players would attempt to "rp" when the admins were likely to be
watching ("Hey mommy, look at how well I roleplay! *jumps up and
down and waves arm to get mommy's attention*) and would end up
causing resentment among players who roleplayed and didn't get
noticed. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and I don't believe that
being 'loud' in speech or behavior (to get the attention of the
admins) should be required. Generally, I want just the opposite
really.

--matt