[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Re: a few mud server design questions (long)

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 13:46:09 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com>
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:03:08 +0100, "Adam Martin"
> <ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Perhaps use a red-black tree, with a pointer to the item which is
>> head of the queue.

> Wouldn't a heap be better for events, since it provides inherent
> priority processing?

Indeed; I've been working purely in Java for the last couple of
projects, and just picked a suitable data structure that's part of
the Java standard libraries. A heap would be faster, but AFAICS they
both have the desired ( log(n) ) time complexity - a heap just has a
lower constant factor (and isn't in the standard libraries. Yet).

Adam M